With Kodi 18’s pending release, now is the perfect time to learn how to update Kodi and prepare yourself for the Krypton to Leia conversion!
Kodi 16 Jarvis and 17 Krypton have had a great run, but file hosts and add-ons are naturally updating dependencies to the latest version which aren’t supported by older versions of Kodi.
If you are still stuck on an old version and want to know how to update Kodi, the process is actually quite simple.
NOTE: Kodi 17+ does not support Android 4.4. If you still have 4.4 and your box is a few years old, it’s time to upgrade. We’ve hand-picked some boxes for you to check out on Amazon, where shipping is free around the world. Click here to read about new Kodi Boxes.
Kodi 18 Upgrade Tips (Before. During, and After You Upgrade)
For the best experience, please follow the following guidelines before you upgrade Kodi.
- Change your skin back to Confluence, the default Kodi 16 skin or Estuary, the default Kodi 17 skin! Skins are not backwards compatible and if you have one active that Kodi 18 doesn’t support, you’ll get a black screen and you’ll need to perform a fresh install.
- To change your Kodi skin on 16 Jarvis, navigate to Settings > Appearance > Skin > Click on your skin name and then click on Confluence.
- To change your Kodi skin on 17 Krypton, navigate to Settings > Interface > Skin > Click on the name of your skin and then change it to Estuary.
- Do NOT install the same build on Kodi 18 as you had on Kodi 17 or previous unless it is supported. Builds, like skins, are not backwards compatible in most cases. You need a build made for Kodi 18.
- Save yourself some headache and backup Kodi before upgrading.
- Double check that you don’t have Android 4.4! In the Android area of your box, go to Settings > About to view Operating System info.
How to Upgrade Kodi on Android
- From your Android main menu, find the Google Play Store icon and click on it.
- Using the search bar (it might be a magnifying glass icon), search for Kodi
- Click on Kodi. The latest official release of Kodi is the one in the Play Store, and you may also see Kodi 17 in the description.
- Click on Install and wait for it to complete.
- Launch Kodi like you normally would on your home screen. The first time you launch Kodi 18, your database will be converted so don’t mess around until it’s done!
How to Upgrade Kodi on LibreElec/OpenElec
- The latest update for LibreElec/OpenElec comes with Kodi 17.1 support.
- From the main menu of Kodi, navigate to System > LibreElec/OpenElec > System > Update Channel.
- Select the latest version from the window. A new “Available Versions” window will come up. Click on the latest revision.
- After it’s done downloading, follow any prompts on the screen as it installs for you.
How to Upgrade Kodi on Windows/Mac/Linux
- Head to the official Kodi website, kodi.tv, and click on the blue Download button in the upper right hand corner.
- Scroll down and select your operating system.
- In the window that pops up, under the Recommended tab, click on the Installer for your operating system.
- After the installer is done downloading, launch it and install Kodi like you would any other application.
Note, due to the wide variety of Kodi builds and how they are made, we are not responsible for any issues with upgrade.
Generally, Kodi 17 builds are NOT upgradable to Kodi 18 so if you have a build and are unsure, it’s recommended that you delete Kodi and all of its files, then download Kodi 17.6 using the procedure above and start fresh to reduce problems.
The post How to Update Kodi – 17 Krypton to 18 Leia Upgrade appeared first on Kodi Tips.